Saturday 21 January 2012

Calling all Channel swimmers...

Have you swum the English Channel? Or another marathon swim? Did you memorialise it in some way? If so, I'd love to hear from you.

As part of my research, I'm working on a paper about what marathon swims mean to people, and am looking for examples of different kinds of swim memorialisation and commemoration. I'd love to hear about (and get pictures of, if possible) tattoos marking successful swims. I know that some people have bought jewellery or had pieces made - I'd love to see them, and hear about why you chose that design etc.

Also, what did you do with the pebble you collected from the beach? And your swim chart?

Are there other forms of commemoration that I've not thought of?

You can e-mail me at k.throsby@warwick.ac.uk, or post comments below. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.




3 comments:

  1. I still have the can of Guinness I shared with Dan Martin on the beach by Wissant at the end of my swim... meant to make something out of it but still haven't figured out what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sylvain -that's great. I bet quite a few people have champagne bottles and things too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I have my 2007 Channel stones upstairs on my filing cabinet, and my 2007 chart is on the wall in our wellness studio. My 2008 channel swim trunks, goggles and lamp (still flashing slightly!) are still in the swim hat I took off after the crossing. I showed them to my wife not long ago and they were still damp!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.